Why Iona went...

Posted on This is My Truth on 2 August

While we await an explanation from the S4C Authority for the abrupt resignation of their Chief Executive (and I'm not holding my breath) we'll have to settle for speculation. The word on the Eisteddfod Maes today was that the Iona Jones was faced with a demand from her board she could not accept.

It is said that Authority members Sir Roger Jones (former WDA Chair), and Sir Winston Roddick (former Assembly Counsel General) met the S4C Chief Executive and demanded the Authority be given a greater role in the day to day running of the channel. It is thought Iona Jones told them how to re-tune their set top box.

Let me make myself clear, I am not making any attempt to defend the way S4C is being managed. But one look at the membership of the S4C Authority convinces me that if any board can 'ditch due seperation' and involve itself directly in the running of a television channel, then this is not the board to do it.

What's more the S4C Authority has a role as a regulator, how can it scrutinise the management if it is part of the management?

If the rumours on the Maes are correct, then Iona Jones' exit begins to look a little different.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2023 - 5 big changes in transport in Wales

Transport for Wales 2.0

How much is a life worth?